Tuesday 18 March 2014

Regrets

Sooner or later the day you realize there’s a lot of things that you can’t do anymore will come and no, I don’t mean Bungee Jumping, I know a woman who did it at 67 for the first time. Some things will be very hard or even impossible to do, but I will always want to remember that I’ve lived life the way I wanted and hopefully my purpose in life will be achieved by then. I never want to regret not having done some things when I’ve had the chance.



So here’s my list of things I believe we will regret when we’re old.

1.    Not travelling the world. To me, the further away the better, I’ll visit Tenby and Spain when I’m older.
2.    Staying in a bad relationship. Remember, if you decide to stay in a unhappy relationship, you’ve decided to be unhappy’. Believe me, every single person who comes out of a bad relationship says ‘I wish I had done it sooner’.
3.    Not protecting ourselves from the sun. I know I will definitely regret it when I get a lot of wrinkles, moles and other skin problems in the future.
4.    Missing the opportunity of seeing your favorite bands live. Some of them are impossible, for example, I love Skid Row but the real Skid Row are not together anymore so I have missed my chance on those ones, but I’m definitely trying to see every single of my favorite bands that are still together live.
5.    Being scared of doing things. We’ll always look back and think, why was I so scared of doing that?
6.    Not making exercise a priority. I am probably one of the laziest people on earth. I hate sports and I hate exercise and yet I’m already regretting not getting into it at a younger age.
7.    Staying in a job you hate. Sure, I get that we all have to pay bills and rent, but always try to find it doing something that you like. Sure as hell I’m not gonna be waitressing all my life.
8.    Not realizing how beautiful you are. Most of us spend hours, days and weeks feeling sorry for ourselves and wishing we’d look different. Look at yourself in the mirror and find the things that you do love about yourself. We’re all beautiful.
9.    Being scared of saying ‘I Love You’. I’ve been scared of those three words all my life and I am learning to become comfortable with them now and I assure you it feels great to say them out loud when you really feel them.
10.  Not listening to your parent’s advice. Sure, we all know when we’re young we don’t even want to listen to them but I am pretty sure when I grow up and they’re not around anymore I will miss them annoying me with their advice. And the best of all, we’ll realize it was all so true what they said.
11.  Caring too much of what people say about you. In twenty years I won’t even remember what some people may have said about me and how much I cared back then.
12.  Feeling hate or grudge for someone. It means someone lives in your head without paying rent. It’s not worth it. What’s the point on remembering something that hurt you in the past? Let it go, you’ll feel so much better.
13.  Not defending yourself. I know I’m one of those that always think, oh, I should’ve said this, I should’ve done that. No more.
14.  Not volunteering. Doing things for others feels great. You will never regret it.
15.  Not taking care of your teeth. When we’re old and we’re missing a few teeth we’ll regret not taking care of them earlier on.
16.  Not learning how to cook. Come on, it’s not too hard. Learn at least one dish that you can be proud of and cook it for other people. It will feel great when they tell you how tasty it is!
17.  Not finishing what you start. I am the queen of not finishing what I start, but this blog is a challenge for me and so far I’m doing great!
18.  Not taking risks, specially in love. Love someone, even if it feels like the biggest mistake of your life at some point, you will look back and think, well, at least I loved for real.
19.  Not making time for your friends. We all need friends, and we’ll need them even more when we’re old and everyone around us is moving on with their lives.
20.  Worrying too much about stuff. Like my dad always say, if it has a solution, why worry? If it doesn’t, why worry?
21.  Creating drama for no reason. What’s the point?! I surely don’t need it.
22.  Not appreciating the time you’re having. I sure do. The whole point of this post is to make people (and myself) realize that you have to live the moment, try to be a better person, enjoy every minute and not let the little things ruin what could be an amazing life.


What do you think? What’s something you hope you don’t regret when you’re old? What are you gonna try to change so this doesn’t happen? <3

5 comments:

  1. Love this post. I'm heading to Spain for the first time later this year, trying to cram as much travel into this year whilst I have the chance. Great blog!

    Scarlett

    www.glimpsenglimmer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! :)

      Oh awesome, what part of Spain are you going to? x

      Delete
  2. Starting in Madrid and ending in Barcelona, haven't worked out all the in-between yet :) I live in Australia so it definitely counts as the other side of the world for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, definately! I was born in Barcelona, there's so much to see! It's a beautiful place, I'm sure you will love it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masses veritats en aquesta entrada, xiqueta.

    I'm trying to have this mindset of trying to do my best to not regret what I haven't done. I'm quite a coward so most of my regrets come from not being brave enough to do something, or for being too lazy or too shy. I'm working on that and trying to improve myself so I won't feel the regrets you're written about.

    ReplyDelete