Wednesday 26 March 2014

TOP THREE AUTHORS

When I first decided I wanted to write a post about my passion for reading, my first idea was to write about my top favorite books but then I realized I couldn’t just chose a number because when I like an author I tend to end up buying all her/his books and I can’t ever decide which one I like most so instead I decided to write about my three favorite authors  (and some of their books) which, in this case, are all women. 


It’s not a secret that I am the biggest romantic on earth so it’s no lie when I tell you that 99% of the books I read are chick flicks. I can read one a week easily and there’s some books I re-read every couple of years. 

  • I will start with Jane Green. Jane is probably my favorite one. I must say I have every single book that she’s ever published and she never cease to surprise me.


The first book I’ve read by her was ‘Jemima J’ and that’s one of those books I read over and over.  

"Jemima Jones is overweight. About one hundred pounds overweight. Treated like a maid by her thin and social-climbing roommates, and lorded over by the beautiful Geraldine (less talented but better paid) at the Kilburn Herald, Jemima finds that her only consolation is food. Add to this her passion for her charming, sexy, and unobtainable colleague Ben, and Jemima knows her life is in need of a serious change. When she meets Brad, an eligible California hunk, over the Internet, she has the perfect opportunity to reinvent herself — as JJ, the slim, beautiful, gym-obsessed glamour girl. But when her long-distance Romeo demands that they meet, she must conquer her food addiction to become the bone-thin model of her e-mails — no small feat."

Green has a way of writing that makes me instantly feel like I’m the main character myself, especially Jemima being overweight and all! She’s ridiculously honest and most times the characters think or talk exactly the same way I would, so I guess her writing just reminds me of myself, in every single book.

Other books by her that are definitely worth reading: Straight Talking, Spellbound, Mr Maybe, Bookends.

 



Have a look at her website here <3.

  • My second favorite author is Marian Keyes. I’d be surprised if you haven’t heard of her because she’s been a nº1 bestseller author a few times now. Keyes sometimes writes about topics a little bit deeper that just love, including violence, drugs and mental illnesses, but always in a witty and easy-to-read way. Another thing I believe it's worth saying, most of her character in all her different books know each other and cross over a little bit, which I find really cool and interesting!


The one book I’ve read about five times is called ‘Rachel’s Holiday’. Again, it’s about a slightly overweight girl. I don’t know why but I clearly feel attracted to books where the main character isn’t particularly beautiful or perfect looking. 

"‘How did it end up like this? Twenty-seven, unemployed, mistaken for a drug addict, in a treatment centre in the back arse of nowhere with an empty Valium bottle in my knickers . . .’
Meet Rachel Walsh. She has a pair of size 8 feet and such a fondness for recreational drugs that her family has forked out the cash for a spell in Cloisters – Dublin’s answer to the Betty Ford Clinic. She’s only agreed to her incarceration because she’s heard that rehab is wall-to-wall jacuzzis, gymnasiums and rock stars going tepid turkey – and it’s about time she had a holiday.
But what Rachel doesn’t count on are the toe-curling embarrassments heaped on her by family and group therapy, the dearth of sex, drugs and rock’n’roll – and missing Luke, her ex. What kind of a new start in life is this?"

Even tho this is a very funny book.(I remember reading it for the first time in the train and I laughed out loud so loud that I got a few weird looks of people!) it has some serious bits that might wanna make you cry too!. I highly recommend it as it’s really easy to read even tho it has nearly 700 pages!

Other books by Marian Keyes: Angels, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, Anybody Out There?, Last Chance Saloon.


 

You can read more about her here <3


  • The next author I want to talk about is Jane Fallon. She’s only released four books as far as I know, but all of them are great! She’s also been married to Ricky Gervais for over thirty years! 

The first book I read of her was ‘Foursome’. However, ‘Getting rid of Matthew’ and ‘Got you back’ were definitely my favorites. In this case I will talk about ‘Getting rid of Matthew’ but I do recommend both of them equally!

"What to do if Matthew, your secret lover of the past four years, finally decides to leave his wife Sophie and their two daughters and move into your flat, just when you're thinking that you might not want him anymore...

PLAN A Stop shaving your armpits. And your bikini line. Tell him you have a moustache that you wax every six weeks. Stop having sex with him. Pick holes in the way he dresses. Don't brush your teeth. Or your hair. Or pluck out the stray hag-whisker that grows out of your chin. Buy incontinence pads and leave them lying around.

PLAN B Accidentally on purpose bump into his wife Sophie. Give yourself a fake name and identity. Befriend Sophie. Actually begin to really like Sophie. Snog Matthew's son (who's the same age as you by the way. You're not a paedophile). Befriend Matthew's children. Unsuccessfully. Watch your whole plan go absolutely horribly wrong...

Getting Rid of Matthew isn't as easy as it seems, but along the way Helen will forge an unlikely friendship, find real love and realize that nothing ever goes exactly to plan..."

I found this book very interesting as something similar happened to me at one point of my life. I became friends with my ex’s ex and even tho it’s not exactly what happens in the book, some situations are fairly similar!

Other books by Jane Fallon:  Foursome, Got you back, The ugly sister.


Visit her website here!


Other books I recommend by different authors are:

-                                  You don’t have to say you love me by Sarra Manning
-                                  Calling Romeo by Alexandra Potter
-                                  Thirty one Dream Street by Lisa Jewell

I hope you liked this post, a little bit different I know, but hopefully I can help you discover your new favorite author. The most important thing about books to me is that they make me forget about any problem that I might be having at the time. I zoom out and enjoy the reading and to me it’s the same feeling as having a long warm bath, and if you can have both at the same time, it’s heaven.


Have you ever read anything I mentioned above? What are you favorite romantic comedies authors? Feel free to recommend other books that you think I might like, I’m always looking for the next one! <3

Adiós!



4 comments:

  1. Hey :) I just nomitad you for the liebster award :) you can read about it on my blog www.curiositesduciel.blogspot.com :) I can't wait to read your response ♥ have a nice day

    - MCGM ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¿Sabes que? El año pasado leí Jemima J porque de repente me acordé de que me habías hablado de él hace tiempo y me entró curiosidad xD
    Chick flick FTW! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O te gustó? es uno de mis libros preferidos! <3

      Delete
  3. I loved your post. I remember being addicted to such type of books in the past. I used to love such characters (I think you noticed that many of them are very relatable 20-something girls) and they would inspire me a lot. Now I read your post and understood once more how much I missed such books and I'm sure that on Monday I'm going to the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete